Tuesday, June 15, 2010

FYI

I had another doctors appointment yesterday. I am at 28 1/2 weeks.  The last appointment I went to I had my gestational diabetes testing, which came back fine.  I did however, have a low platelet count so they wanted me to come back and have some more lab work done so they could keep there eyes on it.  I found out yesterday that the count had come back up.  It was at 139,000 the second time it was at 145,000.  Dr. Horsley said that the reason they watch it is for a condition called thrombocytopenia.  It is common during pregnancy.  However, if the count falls below 100,000 then they will not give you an epidural.  The good news is that they will keep an eye on the count as I get closer to my due date.  If it does fall below the 100,000 then they will just shoot me up with steroids and that should help the platelet count come up therefore I will be able to get the epidural. Which is good for everyone...because I DO NOT have a very high tolerance for pain! 
Oscar is no longer breech. Hooray! I even got to feel the outline of his head yesterday...it was incredible, although my reaction would have you think differently.  Dr. Horsley asked it I wanted to feel where his head was, so he took my hands and placed them on my very lower belly and pushed my hands down and sure enough, it was there. My eyes got really wide and all I could manage to say was "oh, crap!" and Dr. Horsley asked if my first thought was "how in the hell am I gonna get that outta me?" Spot on! Must be a pretty common response!
Anyway, mom and Oscar are doing awesome!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love Dr Horsley he wasn't my Dr but he was in my ward at church. He is so great! We will pray that everything is fine!

Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah! You are too funny. I luv those oh crap moments in life :)