Friday, September 3, 2010

Welcome to the world

Well, as you all probably know, baby Oscar made his appearance 3 weeks early. He just couldn't wait any longer! So after days and days of holding my brand new baby boy Oscar and loving him, I finally decided to lay him down and update you all on his birth.
 Now for the story of my labor. On Tues. Aug 10, I went into work feeling pretty good. About the moment I got to work is when my contractions started and (sorry for all the details) I had my bloody show. I called my doctor and they told me not to worry about anything, just to keep track and time the contractions, once they are 5 minutes apart lasting 1 minute each then I needed to go to the hospital. I timed them at work and they were about 20 minutes apart. I was really uncomfortable at work, so I decided to leave half a day early. I went home around noon and passed out on the couch for about 3 hours. (Later I was SO glad I did that!) That night was our last Preparing for Childbirth class so we decided to go (even though I was having some pretty intense contractions). It was really hard to pay attention in class. Me and Daniel just timed my contractions the entire time, they were 9 minutes apart and lasting about 30-40 seconds. After class we went to meet our cousin Mark (who was visiting from NM) for dinner. I didn't have much of an appetite, so my last meal before becoming a mom was a chef salad. I had a feeling that I was going to be having the baby really soon, I just didn't think it would be so soon. We had Mark help us install the base of the car seat after dinner because we made it out to be a LOT harder than it really is! We headed home and I could tell that my contractions were getting more and more intense and closer together. So around 11pm we started timing them again. By midnight they were at 5 minutes apart and lasting 1 minute each and the pain was getting worse.  So I decided to call Labor and Delivery because I think I was in a bit of denial, and I had not been checked at the doctors yet. That appointment was scheduled for the next day, Aug 11. They told me I could come in and they would check to see how far I was dilated and keep me for an hour, than check again, if I hadn't progressed they would send me home. So we got to the hospital at 12:30am and they checked me and I was at 2cm and almost 100% effaced, so they decided to keep me!
My contractions kept getting stronger and stronger and I was completely pooped so by about 3:30am I asked for my epidural so I could get some sleep. After I received it (I wished I would have asked for it earlier!) I was able to get a little rest and sleep through the contractions. Poor Daniel slept on a hard couch (that was more like a bench) that he couldn't even stretch his legs out on. A little later they came in and broke my water. By 1:30pm I was ready to push. So I pushed, and pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed! About an hour after pushing my Doctor came in to check my progress and I was the same as when I first started pushing. He said that Oscar was laying a little transverse and that it was a little like trying to push a square through a circle. So he gave us two options. He said that we could either try pushing for another hour and if he hadn't been born by then we would have to do a c-section or we could skip the hour of pushing and go right in for the c-section. They left and let me and Daniel talk it over and we both decided that the c-section would be the best for everyone. (Especially me, I was so exhausted!)
So at 3:37pm we welcomed our little prince to the world!
Oscar Daniel Spillman
6lbs 15 oz
19 inches
And just for proof that I did push and push and really did try...check out his cone head!
Poor kid!

4 comments:

Griffiths said...

I am so happy he is here, and here safe. Hope you recooperate quickly, enjoy that adorable guy!!! Congrats to you and Daniel!!

Brock&Chan said...

Oh Sarah! So exciting! He is adorable (even with his little cone head)! :) Congratulations! Are you loving motherhood?!

Anonymous said...

Love the post!!! I am so happy for you! You will be glad you wrote down his birth story...I tried to write Blayzens when he was 3 months old and I had forgotten a lot of details...but thats just forgetful old me :) lol. Welcome you sweet little prince!!! Loves!

Stephanie said...

I loved reading this thanks for the cute post!